Vacancy Notice: Media & Communication Assistant
Project Title: Liberia Domestic Election Observation (LIDEO) Activity
Posted: February 20, 2023
Location: ECC National Office, Monrovia Reports to ICT Officer and National Coordinator
About the Organization:
The Elections Coordinating Committee (ECC) is Liberia’s largest domestic election observation network with diverse competencies, experiences, and expertise in democracy, elections, and governance, established in 2010. As a coalition, the ECC comprises seven Civil Society Organizations (CSOs) that have transitioned legally to becoming the ECC Board and Owners’ Council.
The “Liberia Domestic Election Observation (LIDEO)” activity is a USAID funded Project implemented by the Elections coordinating committee with the purpose to enhance voter’s confidence in electoral processes and results, to the extent warranted, and mitigating electoral violence and tension, through evidence-based, responsive election observation reporting to the public. USAID through the LIDEO Activity will support ECC as the country prepares for the next round of elections in 2023 and through the post-electoral period until all electoral complaints are adjudicated. Following the 2023 general elections and ahead of 2026 senatorial, the activity will support the strengthening of elections through reporting on the implementation of recommendations and conducting advocacy activities.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The Media & Communication Assistant will be responsible for creating and distributing content to promote the visibility of the organization, the LIDEO project, and all other branding activities. They will act as a liaison between the ECC, the media, and the general public to enable communication of the project objective and the progress made. They will support the ECC Media and Communication strategy, be responsible for drafting publications, press releases, and statements, edit and disseminate visibility materials, and respond to public and media inquiries. Their duties and responsibilities to achieve this objective may include:
- Collaborate with management to implement an effective communications strategy based on our target audience.
- Write, edit, and distribute content, including publications, press releases, website content, annual reports, speeches, and other marketing material that communicate the organization’s activities, products, and/or services.
- Respond to media inquiries, arrange interviews, and act as a communication person for the organization.
- Establish and maintain effective relationships with journalists, and maintain a media database.
- Seek opportunities to enhance the reputation of the LIDEO project and coordinate publicity events as required.
- Maintain records of media coverage and collate analytics and metrics.
- Must be proficient in the design and publishing software.
- Manage conflict as it arises and escalate to management. Perform other duties as assigned by your supervisor.
- A relevant first degree in Mass Communication, Sociology, English, or other related fields is required.
- A three-year minimum professional experience working as a Media/Communication officer in an NGO or INGO on a USAID project or other international donors project.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- A certificate in Media training is an added advantage;
- Excellent interpersonal and strong communication skills required; ability to work with people from multiple sectors and across various cultures.
- Must possess strong organizational skills; ability to think strategically and make decisions; keen to details.
- Knowledge of Desktop publishing Software (InDesign/Photoshop) and social media content creation is strongly preferred.
- Ability to organize workload, adapt quickly to change and deliver under pressure to meet deadlines.
Duration and Location:
The duration of employment is 12 months, with the possibility of an extension for another 12 months based on performance. The successful candidate will be stationed in Monrovia at the ECC Secretariat Office and with travel to other counties as needed.
All interested candidates should submit a one-page cover letter, and a maximum three-page CV, including three references with their contacts.
All applications must be emailed to email@example.com with the subject line Media & Communication Assistant.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
Deadline for application: March 8, 2023
Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
ECC is an equal-opportunity employer!